Before I met my husband I always had the notion that green bean casserole was just for Thanksgiving dinner. It was the standard Campbell mushroom soup and green bean mash of casserole mix which is probably why I never thought of it as anything special.
Then I discovered the best damn Green Bean Casserole.
The secret? Swiss cheese!
So the story goes that this recipe belongs to a relative of my mother in law and it’s not a family secret, but it’s definitely one not to cook for that relative since their way of cooking it is even better than the recipe that I’m going to give you.
So here is a new take on green bean casserole that I think will become a regular on your dinner table, or lunch table or even great as leftovers for breakfast!
- Half an onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margerine
- salt & paper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 16 oz. of sour cream
- 4 cans of green beans
- grated Swiss cheese
- High sided frying pan
- 9×13 casserole dish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- First, open up and drain the liquid from the cans of green beans.
During the cooking process some liquid will come out of the bean so if you start out with the driest beans possible it’ll make the end product not watery.
- Cook chopped onion in the butter until softened.
This doesn’t take very long and be careful because if you brown the onions it’ll give it a different taste.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and butter mixture.
This will make a paste of the onions. This is called a roux which is used as a thickener for gravy, other sauces, soups and stews and will make the sauce of the casserole thick.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
This is definitely to taste.
- Pour some of the sour cream mixture into the onions and make a sauce with it then add the green beans. Stir.
Add more sour cream if needed, but watch it to see if it’s too watery.
- Butter the bottom and sides of your casserole dish.
The cheese will stick to your pan.
- Layer the green bean mixture and shredded cheese, making sure that the top layer is cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.
The cheese on the top should be golden brown.
Be careful because the cheese and sauce will be hot, but this is a great way to get some veggies into your diet or your kids diet.
“Feature Post” on the following link parties:
Posted on the following link parties: